You’re getting married. If you are marrying overseas or even interstate, you need to consider how you are going to get that very important Maggie Sottero Tawny Wedding Dress to your destination. If you have purchased your bridal gown from a wedding dress shop, your best bet is to keep your bridal gown in the box or a dress-bag for travelling. If you are flying try and keep your wedding dress with you on the plane.
Once all the alterations on your dress have been completed, and you have had your final fitting ask the store to pack the dress for you – for travelling. If you choose to bring a travel box with you, ensure it is made from heavy PH neutral card and uses an acid-free tissue.
If your dress is at home and you plan to pack the dress yourself, these simple tips should get you to your destination with your dress in perfect condition:
1. Use a proper wedding dress travel box,
2. Layer the acid-free tissue at the bottom of the box and then up and around the edges,
3. Try and estimate how many folds you will need to get the dress into the box with the bodice facing upwards at the last fold,
4. Place the train in the bottom of the box then cover it with tissue and tuck it in tightly at the sides,
5. Fold the dress over and press down firmly, layer tissue over every fold and tuck it in tightly at the sides,
6. Fold the dress with the bodice facing the top, press down firmly, cover with tissue and tuck that firmly into the sides,
7. If you have a veil and/or tiara place them on top, and place the lid on and tie securely,
8. Don’t worry if your dress looks squashed; you can always use a steamer to remove any creases when you get to your venue,
9. If your dress has hoops or an under-skirt, don’t try packing them into the travel box,
10. Unpack your wedding dress as soon as possible to avoid any creases setting in,
11. DO NOT put your wedding gown in your suitcase – it may not arrive with you and liquids can damage or ruin your dress if they leak in the hold of the aircraft,
12. If you must put your wedding dress into a suitcase and the hold of the aircraft cover the whole dress in a strong, watertight plastic bag,
13. Check with your airline their policies/rules and regulations regarding carry-on luggage.